This gem of a session was actually a mentorship – I had another photographer learning to photograph couples, and we had this super fun couple to work with. We decided to head to North Glenmore park in Calgary. Devonie and Jamie had recently gotten engaged, so we’re just going to call it their engagement session 😉 We had beautiful spring like weather and some nice evening sunlight for this Calgary engagement session.
When I’m directing couples as a photographer, I try not to tell them exactly what to do or where to put their hands. I give couples a bit of direction, and then let them roll with it. This results in more genuine emotions! And that is what I’m trying to capture, after all.
Here are some of my favorite prompts when photographing couples:
- Walk away from me and pull each other in and out as you go.
- Come towards me holding hands and bump into each other.
- Face each other holding hands and pull each other back and forth.
- Sit down and snuggle really close to each other.
- Guy grab her from behind and girl try to get away (this is a good one for laughing).
- Practice your first dance.
- Tickle fight.
- Piggy back ride, guy try to bounce her off.
- Run towards me and take turns swinging each other in front.
- Guy kiss her all over the face as fast as you can.
You get the idea! Basically, I try to make it fun and relaxed. Most guys don’t enjoy getting their photo taken, but after an engagement session with me, they always say they had fun! 😉 I don’t want couples to feel awkward and stiff and to hate their session! The more fun they have, the more emotion comes out, and the more they love their photos!
Enjoy this happy couple at their Calgary engagement session.