Many couples who are engaged and starting to plan their mountain elopement wonder what is the best season to elope in Alberta. There are several factors to consider when deciding on what season will work best for your elopement. Of course, there are pros and cons to any season! It partly depends on personal preference. But it also depends on the weather systems, locations, and activities you’re planning for your Alberta elopement.
Here is a breakdown of some pros and cons of eloping in the different seasons. These are based on my experience shooting elopements in the mountains year round.
Pros and Cons of Eloping in the Spring in Alberta
- There are less people in the mountains in general than other times of the year.
- The weather is starting to warm up.
- The sunrises are later and sunsets earlier if you want that golden light.
- The weather can be quite unpredictable. Some days are super warm, others can still be frigid.
- There can be some avalanche danger, depending on the hike. So avalanche danger needs to be taken into account for sure.
- There can be deep snow on some trails still.
Pros and Cons of Eloping in the Summer in Alberta
- The weather tends to be warmer, even on rainy or cloudy days.
- The weather is more predictable.
- There is a much wider variety of hikes since snow will mostly be gone.
- Hiking is easier without snow.
- There are more daylight hours for longer adventures.
- Sunrises are earlier for sunrise hiking elopements (but that’s ok because early mornings add to the adventure.)
- Some hikes can be busier with tourists.
- Days can get really hot!
- Vendors may be really booked up so less availability.
Pros and Cons of Eloping in the Fall in Alberta
- The colours are absolutely stunning.
- The weather is cooler but usually without snow for the first bit, which is beautiful for hiking elopements.
- The main tourist season is over, so less people on most trails.
- Some hikes can be VERY busy with people trying to visit larch trees. That’s why I have some secret locations up my sleeve, or you can take a helicopter and avoid all the people!
- It can be quite cold and unpredictable weather. Bring layers!
- Vendors will still be busy so make sure you book far enough in advance.
Pros and Cons of Eloping in the Winter in Alberta
- You’ll have most locations to yourself, especially on weekdays.
- Vendors are more available, as eloping in the winter is less common.
- The snow makes everything absolutely stunning.
- You can still take a helicopter to a summit if you don’t feel like hiking!
- It’s cold! (But not always…)
- You don’t know just HOW cold it will be when you choose your date. That’s why it’s good that elopements are flexible!
- You need to wear a lot warmer clothes. White leggings are great for under wedding dresses!
And then last of all, of course it’s personal preference! If you absolutely love fall, then you’ll probably be willing to put up with some of the cons to get your dream photos. Or if you’d rather hike, but the season makes more sense to take a helicopter, then that’s totally an option! So there’s really no best season to elope in Alberta, but hopefully these pros and cons help you make a decision!
If you’re ready to start planning your elopement, get in touch with me here!